Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Tuesday, June 15, 2010


Last night I was sitting on the floor cutting coupons while I was watching TV.  At 9:20pm my two dogs started to freak out a second later my ground below me started to move!  And there was this sound like a big truck passing the house (which they don’t)  I just sat there.  first I looked at the TV thinking what's Earthquakesgoing on.  Then it hit me this a EARTHQUAKE!  By the time it took my process this all, it was over.  I got up and called my mom and started to cry.  I had been thought my first earthquake that I have actually felt.  I have been though a couple of quakes but I have never felt them, so this different, it was real!

The quakes started at 9:26 pm with one centered 5 miles southeast of Ocotillo. The first quake was first reported as a magnitude 5.9 but later downgraded it to a magnitude 5.7!  That first temblor was quickly followed by a series of quakes, according to the USGS. One recorded as a 3.9 magnitude happened at 9:29 pm. Then one registering a 3.6 magnitude occurred at 9:31 p.m., followed by a 3.2 magnitude at 9:33 pm, followed by a 4.0 and 3.9 both at 9:36 pm.  There were 34 quakes that first hour after the 5.7 magnitude quake.  Many of the smaller quakes were recorded less than 10 miles from Ocotillo Wells, but I lost count after first hour.  The short but powerful quake hit in a strong first wave, then rolled for some time afterward. The quake that emanated nearly 70 miles from San Diego.

Nothing fell off the wall and nothing was damaged and no was hurt!  They only thing I am upset about is how poorly I reacted.  I should have gotten up and to a safe location, not just sat there. I should have been worried about my kids.  but I just sat there.  G&G slept though the quake.  Which I was thankful for since is was not major.

This afternoon I talked to G&G about earthquakes.  I told them that if the ground starts to move to go to a doorway and stay there until the ground stops moving.  When the ground stops moving to go outside and get help.  I have not idea if that is right or not.  I just remember from the one or two drills I did in elementary school a while back.  From what I remember they said to stop drop, get under our desk (cover) and hold on to them, then get out of the school.  I would think it would be almost like that at home,  drop get on the ground,  get cover under a table or something and hold on, then get out.  Right?  I guess I will need to look into this.  


Mom of twins! said...

That is so crazy! I probably would of froze too! I probably would of freaked out after as well, trying to come up with a plan for our twins! I get crazed during out tropical storms here!